Intuitive eating part 2

It's about time I finish my post regarding intuitive eating.  

Principle #4 Challenge the food police 
This particular principle was a little bit hard for me to differentiate between principle #1- Reject the diet mentality, so I didn't take a lot of notes. But if I had to sum it up- challenge those little thoughts that tell you you're "good" because you didn't eat sugar all day...and "bad" because you ate more than an allotted calorie amount.
moving on...

Principle #5 Feel your fullness
Learn to feel what satiety feels like for you. For some it may be a subtle feeling of stomach fullness or for others a feeling of satisfaction and contentment. Also, remember that if you start eating when you're not hungry, it will be hard to know when to stop out of fullness.

Principle #6 Discover the satisfaction factor
Did you know that the Japenese promote pleasure as one of the goals of a achieving a healthy lifestyle? How cool!

I saw this in Spain too. The country literally shut down for two hours in the middle of the day for lunch or "mediodia". Everyone went home, enjoyed a wonderfully home cooked meal, took a little siesta. They savored this time. They savored their food.

I think Europeans in general are good at savoring and finding true satisfaction from food. One of my mission companions in Spain was from Denmark. I remember one day over lunch we were discussing our favorite meals. I replied, "Spoon Tacos". Of coarse, she didn't know what that was, so I explained that it was a sort of bean dip served with tortilla chips. Even as I was explaining, I realized how silly it sounded.  She looked at me quizzically and replied, "I'm just sort of confused at how chips and dip can be a meal." I don't remember what her favorite dish was, but I do remember it was something a lot more exquisite.

Some suggestions are to ask yourself what you really want. Think about what tastes, textures, aromas, appearances, temperatures, etc., appeal to you.

And to quote the book-
"Our clients are focused on every aspect of food except the here and now. They lament the past and worry about the future (what will I eat, how will I work off these calories), but very rarely do they focus on the actual experience of eating. Therefore, they are not tasting- not experiencing or savoring food."
and...
"When you eat what you really want, in an environment that is inviting, the pleasure you derive will be a powerful force in helping you feel satisfied and content. By providing this experience for yourself, you will find that it takes much less food to decide you've had "enough"".
and last quote...
"If you don't love it, don't eat it, and if you love it, savor it."

You wanna know something funny. I don't like spoon tacos that much anymore. I've learned to savor a little better and have found that I like a meal with a little more variety to it than just chips and dip.  (Well, either that, or I just can't make them as good as my mom.)

Principle #7 Cope with Emotions without using food
Oh, this is a hard one, especially for us girls!  I liked a little chart they showed that showed how we tend to use food to cope with emotions.

<--sensory gratification--comfort--distraction--sedation--punishment-->

Something to think about.

Even though using food as a coping method may seem horrible and wrong, the book points out that you should be grateful that your body is trying to help you recognize that something isn't right and that this is done more as an act of self preservation.

Another book that I read said that journaling could be a good source for coping with emotions and even a way of self discovery if we're willing to have the honesty with ourselves.

But I also must say here that the ultimate source of comfort and self discovery for me has always been God.  It's not usually as instantly gratifying, but isn't it great to know that we can turn to Him in prayer?!  And isn't it great that the Holy Ghost can comfort us?!  I can't count how many times I've found comfort in being able to offer a silent prayer in my head or kneel by my bed and pour out my heart to the Lord.  I've told him how mad or hurt or discouraged or lonely or bored or whatever I've been.   I've asked for help, understanding, comfort or a change of heart.  He's always responded.  I don't think ice cream has ever been that faithful to me.

Well, that's it for the night.  3 more principles for another post.

Below, some pictures of my little "Max Fax" as I like to call him these days.  And I must say, I'm shocked at how much he looks like my sister Shannon in some of these pictures!

Who would've thought that you'd grow up to have a family of your own and you have a kid that look like your grandpa...or your dad...or your little sister (all comments that I've received from others).  Good thing Shannon was a cute, little chunk! ;)  (top 3 pics shan...oh, & the one where he's squinting while he's smiling).  

(If you're wondering where Intuitive eating part 1 is, it's here!)

m-3
m-5
m-1
m-2
m-4
m-9
m-7
m-8

No comments