Sister Burt & Sister Torres

Once upon a time (10 years ago if I'm counting right), I was a young twenty-something walking the streets of Spain, stopping strangers on the street to invite them to hear a message about Jesus Christ. I was young. The land & language were foreign. It was hard...so hard. So much rejection. Many times I felt inadequate. But I was willing and I so much wanted to be an instrument in the hands of God. Like all heart felt service, I can sincerely say that I gained much more than I ever gave.

In the area in which I live (Bolivar, MO area), there are 4 missionaries- two boys (or elders) & two girls (or sisters). I have a soft spot in my heart for them. I love them & I want to remember every one of them & their examples of selfless service. They uplift me & my family when we invite them into our home.  I wish everyone could get to know them & see their quiet examples of good! They are true disciples of Christ & examples of charity to me. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

Sooo...in an effort to do so, I thought it'd be fun to document the different missionaries that serve in our area. So here we go...
burt & torres11.12.13-web
Sister Burt (left) & Sister Torres (right)

Sister Torres
From- Gulroy, California

Before the mission- she graduated from Gilroy High School

Hobbies- drawing & running

After the mission plans- go to the LDS Business College for an associates in Medical Assisting.

Family- consists of her mom & dad & 2 brothers & a sister (also serving a mission- Salt Lake City spanish speaking).

Testimony- "The gospel was introduced to my family when my mother was about 15 years old. They accepted it into their lives and because of that I now have the gospel in my life and have felt the joy and peace that comes from it. I know that this gospel is true and I know the blessings that come from it and that is part of the reason why I decided to come on a mission- to share the truthfulness of this gospel with others, so they can feel the blessings that I have felt from it."

Favorite scripture- 1 Nephi 8:12- "And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit."

Sister Burt
From- Rigby, Idaho

Before the mission- studied Early Childhood Care & Education at Idaho State University

Hobbies- Flute, Crafts

After the mission plans- I want to work in a preschool and some day I want to have mine own.

Family- an older sister, younger sister & younger brother

Testimony- "I know this church is true.  Going out every day and teaching people about it, my testimony has grown so much.  I can't imagine my life without this gospel.  It has brought me so much peace and comfort.  We are so blessed to have a prophet who leads us in these days.  I know he is a prophet of God.  I love bringing people this happiness that I have, and to see their lives change and to see them come closer to Christ."

Favorite scripture- Moroni 7:33- "And Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me."


1 comment

  1. Those two are such sweet girls. I love having them here! What a fun idea. Have you thought about getting their parents' email addresses so they could see this post?

    ReplyDelete