Spain, day 8, Congas de Onís, Llanes & Bilbao

Spent an hour or so touring the grounds of the parador. There was a museum in the hotel & the grounds were beautiful. One of the last rooms we visited before checking out had a framed allegory that was titled "The train of life". I was intrigued. I thought it was something I was already familiar with. I was wrong. 

Keep in mind our vacation was coming to an end.  I'd be leaving this country that I love and many that I love there.  Yet, I was anxious to get back to my kids.  This allegory seemed to express what I was feeling and leave me with a sense of closure and gratitude as I left.
The allegory read as follows (interpretation by Chad & me)-

Life is nothing more than a trip on a train, complete with embarking and disembarking, dotted with accidents and surprises.

When we are born, we get on the train and we find people that we believe will always be with us- our parents.  Sadly, the truth is different.  They will get off at some station and leave us orphans to their irreplaceable caring.

Notwithstanding, others will get aboard that are very special to us- friends and loved ones.  Upon getting off, we will be left with a permanent longing, and others will pass by so imperceptibly that we don't even realize they are no longer sitting in the seat next to us.

It's interesting.  We will also note that some passengers who are very dear to us, including our own family, will travel in distinct wagons from ours and we won't be be able to sit by their side because there will be other people that will take those seats.

The grand mystery is that we don't know in what station we will get off or even less, where our travel companions will get off.

When I get off the train, I will feel nostalgic.

To be separated from those that I made the trip with, I will feel pain.
Leaving my children to continue alone, I will feel sad, even though I will cling to the hope that in the moment they will arrive at their final station, I will have the grand emotion to see them arrive happy and better equipped that when I left them.

My friend, I hope that your time in the train has been worth the pain.  Let it be that when the time to disembark comes, your empty seat will leave longing and wonderful memories for those who continue their journey. 

To you that were on my train, my desire is that you have a happy journey!


d8-3
d8-4
d8-2
d8-1
Llanes.  A gas station attendant said this little town would be worth the stop. It was beautiful!
d8-5
d8-6
d8-8
d8-7
d8-9
d8-10
d8-11
And back in Bilbao. We decided to stay in a hostel close to the airport this night. We were going to have to catch an early flight, so might as well. I'm pretty sure we shared a bathroom with a smoker, but the hostel keepers were some of the nicest people you'd ever meet. The rest of the night I tried to finish off any last shopping before coming home. Zara. El Corte Ingles. Bershka. Stradivarius. A few stores we made it to in our last hours.
d8-12

No comments